Wednesday, October 31, 2007

... and now it's time for WINE CORNER

pic via Avec website

Wine corner visits Avec!
By our resident ghost writer "Double D"

Monday night I started the week off in style with a visit to Avec with my good friend Gretchen. Avec can always be depended upon for great food, excellent wine and a long wait. Even on a Monday! The place was packed so Gretchen & I took up residence at the bar. I was feeling
saucy and ordered the Viognier so I could attempt the pronunciation, but I was warned off by our knowledgeable & gracious waiter, who informed me that the Viognier was "just an awful glass of wine." Apparently the wine buyer had an irrational attachment to it and had "romanticized it beyond all reason." Well then, let's get something else! He recommended the Maison L'Aiglon "Grand Reserve," an unoaked Chardonnay that was delightful - fresh, light and appley but not too sweet. Gretchen ordered the Cusomano "Bennara," a Nero D'Avola & Syrah
blend. Girlfriend loves her Syrah!

Anyway, we were starving & ordered 3 cheeses to start. Our waiter (who we were delighted to learn was gay and hooking up with a hot ex) told us he was out of one of our choices, but compensated by giving us ridiculously huge slabs of cheese. I mean have you ever not finished a
cheese plate? Me neither until Monday night. I felt inadequate but I didn't want to only eat cheese for dinner, and you have to draw the line somewhere. Gretchen & I shared the roasted corn bruschetta and the grilled cod, which were both excellent. Tip of the day - if cod is an option GET IT! It's always good.

Things took a downward turn when our waiter disappeared for a long time. Nowhere to be seen. Literally not even in the building. We decided he was having relationship problems so we let it slide. We passed the time gawking at the many celebrities:

1. Casey, runner-up for on this season's Top Chef
2. Hung & Elan, winners of the past 2 Top Chefs, who seemed surprised
to run into Casey and were eating together (p.s. Hung is really short)
3. Gretchen's boyfriend & his dad (ok, technically they're not
celebrities, but it was still surprising.)

Avec - great food, great wines and waiters who have issues. I hope he
works it all out.

-DD

No comments: