Friday, October 19, 2007

... and now it's time for WINE CORNER



Wine corner visits CRUST!
By our resident ghost writer "Double D"

My friend Gretchen and her boyfriend George joined me at Crust for drinks, dinner and light conversation. The evening got off to a rocky start when we learned that there would be a half hour wait since we were starving. What to do? Drink a lot of course! I ordered a "Strawberry Fields martini" which sounded sweeter than it was (this was a good thing) ingredients: strawberry vodka, cava, and fresh strawberry juice. Very refreshing and delicious-unfortunately it made me even hungrier, so Gretchen had to share her turkey chili with me (which she had ordered at the bar in a moment of desperation).

I think the bartender felt sorry for us since he knew there was no way we were getting seated in a half hour, so he compensated by giving g & g HUGE POURS of their wine. Gretchen ordered the Wolf Trap Syrah ("not on the menu" she told me knowingly) and George had a Chevery Sauvignon Blanc which he found disappointing - the wine list described it as
"white fruit against a mineral backbone" but george said it was sweet and green appley, and not minerally at all. That's right folks - appley & not minerally! this led to the quote of the night - "I don't know if I like french whites" which could apply to several things. George
ordered a Pinot Noir afterwards which was also misrepresented on the menu, but at least it wasn't a french white.

50 years later we were finally seated and dinner was delicious. In a bold move, George & Gretchen chose an anchovy pizza (I hope to someday be as brave) afterwards we ordered vegan chocolate cake and a maple walnut liqueur - the liqueur never arrived and the vegan cake was,
well...vegan. We still ate the whole thing though.

Lessons learned: bartenders are sympathetic, Crust's wine list is unreliable, and vegan cake has serious limitations. also, George doesn't know if he likes french whites.

-DD

No comments: