Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Village Discount Outlets. Still going strong.

They may not be as great as the Unique chain, but The Village Discount Outlets never disappoint. Many years ago I would come home from their Halsted location, which I think is now closed, with garbage bags full of sweaters, shoes, coats, belts, purses-you name it. Looking for a colorful 90's track suit for this years Halloween costume brought me to the one on Milwaukee. After a couple of unsuccessful trips to Salvation Armys I really needed the Village to pull through. And it did. Within seconds I was lost in a giant sea of granny tracksuits. I had died and gone to a Miami retiree's closet heaven. And then something kind of exciting happened. As I inspected a nice little teal number, I heard the sound of rickety wheels fast approaching and an old but familiar phrase uttered in a foreign accent; "Excuse me, coming through." I looked behind me to see a woman in a white nurse-like uniform and white gloves making her way through the isle with a rack full of thrift store goodies. For a minute my heart welled up nostalgic. I had been in this situation many times before, both here and at their Halsted location. The rush I used to feel from a day of thrifting, discovering those perfect and unbelievably cheap pieces that were sure to make me a standout at the next party, came back to me with a force. I turned around with renewed purpose and made my way through the rest of the pieces on the rack. Two minutes later I was sharing another perfect find with my friend Gretchen, standing triumphant amongst the Hipsters, Mexican families, Polish construction workers, and the Puerto Rican drag queen looking for scarves. You bet I'll be a standout at next Saturday's Halloween party. Thank you Village Discount.

No comments: